About Me

Charting the progresses and lessons learnt from each set of my "works" and self indulgence. Majoring in Photography and Digital Imaging Attempting to move away from the "photographer" to being an "Artist using photography and video"

Thursday, July 19, 2012

The First Block

1 Corinthians 13:12 
Now we see things imperfectly as in a cloudy mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely



Every journey has it's short comings.
Every short comings has it's lessons.


The First Block:
When I first started using my shooting back then, it was simply with a Canon Ixis.





As time progress, I got my first DSLR 450D which started my full on commitment to this hobby. 
As I started, I found myself buying more of those “Photo Magazines” with loads of “How to Shoot Fantastic Photos” or “How Photoshop can help you make Fantastic Photos”. Without a doubt, Photoshop made my initial stages of photography “Simple”.
How to make photos look good:
  1. Increase Contrast ( Details coming out now! )
  2. Add a artsy vignette ( Woah suddenly everything seems so well composed )
  3. Mask out the colours leaving one item in colour ( AWESOME PHOTO! )


In many ways, these was where I had a "self discovery". Even then, I felt that my photos were telling a story in one way or another. At least that was what I thought. Even looking at a local Photo Forum was inspiring to me. However, somehow I felt something was just lacking in my photos that did not click.



As time passed, I began looking more towards 
"HOW PHOTOSHOP makes my Photo looks good"

I explored everything from verto-rama, panorama, HDR and digitial double exposure.
During which it felt good cause all my photos were of... "STANDARD".
At least by that standards of local forums...

Furthermore, Facebook helped boasted my ego. Making me assume more of what I was.
At this point, I sincerely felt like a true blue photographer with skills despite the reality that showed I was merely a novice. All those likes and comments drove me to assume I was going somewhere with my photography. 

In reality, I felt really blocked. Nothing was moving.
My photos were stagnant.

The Critque-tical Point
December 2009 was most probably the changing point of my photo journey.
In summary, it humbled me.

During which, I was given the chance to serve in my Church Media Ministry as a photographer. December of 2009 was the first time I served as one. 
Furthermore, it was at a church camp with the band leading Praise and Worship.
It was a whole new experience for me photographing such subject matter.

So back then, my photography head was still serving the nation as a photographer.
Even back then, he proved to be a force to be meddled with.
His improvements were exponential.
Leading our team, he offered to sit down with us and critique us on the shots we took during these events.

To my surprise only ONE was selected out of the hundreds I took.
Sitting down, I really had a shock to hear how Bad my shots were.
The Compositions were bad
The Exposure was off
The Timing was a Disaster



Out of the thousands that I ended up shooting, only two made the cut.



Now to the important point of matter.
How this cleared my First Block.
Over a period of time, I was shooting unguided.
I learnt everything from scratch, from books and from magazines.
But there was no former knowledge on what works and what doesn't.

It took people who really cared and dared to humble you and make you realize where you are.

This December of 2009 taught be many things.
1. Photo Magazines can only teach you techniques but it will never push you further and better
2. It takes someone to tell you you SUCK before you realise it.
3. When someone says you SUCK. You LISTEN and change
4. Novice will remain a Novice until you are guided by someone better.
5. Good enough is never good enough
6. Moments are vital 

Photography is more then just taking photos of nice sceneries and items around us.
Its also the extension of the eye. As John Berger writes, its also a re-creation; a copy of the reality frozen in time and space.

My First Block ended with me realizing I was fooling myself into thinking I was good. 
In reality I was so far from where I can be....

No comments: