About Me

Charting the progresses and lessons learnt from each set of my "works" and self indulgence. Majoring in Photography and Digital Imaging Attempting to move away from the "photographer" to being an "Artist using photography and video"

Sunday, July 22, 2012

36 Frames


Moving Back to Move Forward.
After So many months of yearning and procrastinating, finally gotten my hand on a Manual SLR. And my I've to say I'm loving every part of it.


While what seems to be the whole world moving towards the Digital Era, I choose to move a little back into the 1970s.


I'm not an old middle age man and neither am I a Hipster. I can't fit in skinnies anyways for that matter of fact. But, a good man/photographer once said, 36 frames forces you to focus on the necessary and shoot only the best. Besides that, $7.50 per roll and $6 developing fee also does the job of making sure I have only the best shots possible in that 36 frames.






Previously shooting on a Canon N series I had the ease of Auto Focus to ensure my shots are sharp. With this Manual SLR, its a WHOLE other story. 


Working on a film makes you respect all those photographers pre-DSLR. All the amazing street photographers that truly had to frame, compose and make changes within seconds to get the shot they wanted. 

With reference to one of my favorite Vietnam War photojournalist Nick Ut who shot one of the most famous photos that is iconic to the War. "The Napalm Girl " It really makes you shiver at the thought of "what if he didn't frame it well." The whole world wouldn't have seem the painful innocence of a civilian casualty. 


Then again, with the whole idea of film comes the problems.
Nothing hurts more then have a roll of film accidentally exposed or damaged.....
Its hurts just as much as realising that your CF card is corrupted after an amazing photo shoot.


Time to return to my Susan Sontag.
My goodness, they should give her articles as "A" Level examination scripts. 
Surely, there will be a uprising of disgruntled students. Then "Ways of Seeing" the next year. That would scare the living day lights of students....

No comments: